It’s that time of the year again when everyone is making a fantastic list of good wishes, and having a healthier life is for sure in almost every list. For developers, a wellness lifestyle is key to stay focus, have energy, increase productivity, and handle stress better. Most successful developers, affrim that the key to a great career is good health and a wellness lifestyle.
Some developers focus on eating, others do it on exercise, but maybe there’s not a correct line or answer for everybody. Every developer must do something for their own general wellness lifestyle, at the end of the day, it’s not your nutritionist or your coach who can achieve your particular goals, it only affects you.
Why wellness lifestyle matters at work?
A wellness lifestyle matters at work because everything we do has an impact in the quality of our project deliveries. In order to keep a wellness lifestyle at work we need to think about every aspect of our lives: occupational, emotional, spiritual, environmental, financial, physical, social and intellectual. Therefore, in the developers world, it is important to achieve optimal wellness in order to subdue stress, reduce sick leaves and ensure positive project results.
I want to share with all developers that are reading this some ideas that could be useful on achieving your wellness lifestyle goals:
Write it down!
- Write your exact goals
- Specify when, where, how, what to do to acheive your goals
- Compromise yourself
Use a calendar
- Get a visual calendar to write your wellness lifestyle goals down, keep that calendar on your desk so you don't forget anything.
- Establish a simple goal per week
- When things get easier, go for more
Make a deal with the food you eat while working
Having a wellness lifestyle doesn’t mean quitting off all of the pleasures we love (sugar, fats, beverages, etc), but knowing the best healthy way to handle them.
- Analyze what you are eating: what are the components, the portions you are taking, the benefits and disadvantages of each food.
- Identify every kind of food that could make you feel distracted, demotivated or without energy at work. It is better to live with no regrets.
- Don’t be afraid to try new food.
Less words more action!
Yes, it’s not all about intentions, you know that as a developer: everything requires achievements.
- Start with the basics, set short-term goals. Remember, one step at a time.
- The important and most complicated thing is being constant, don’t give up.
- It’s better to do something that you really enjoy than something you don’t. Be consistent.
- Just be realistic to yourself, if you need some help then ask for it.
Every developer out there deserves a wellness lifestyle because they are just awesome, don't you think? We know that the hardest part is not the destination, but the journey.
In Definity First we care about our developers and our team. That's the reason we are starting a new program that will include different activities to provide our people tools to make it easier to achieve a wellness lifestyle. Don't forget to stay focused and motivated, being healthy has huge benefits not only at work but in many aspects of your life.