Content Management Systems (CMS) are essentially applications that allow users to create, design, and edit a website without any previous technical knowledge.
Besides developing websites, CMS software can also be used for other purposes, such as document management.
Small businesses widely use these platforms for their customizable features and ease of use. In fact, research suggests that over half of all live websites are built on some CMS.
Let's take a look at some of the best Content Management Systems for website development:
Starting a new website is easier than ever in 2021
The following platforms are considered absolute best for making websites without the need for learning how to code or program. These software are used by millions of people across the globe and are well-liked for the practicality and functionality they offer.
Let's take a quick view of each of them and the features they provide.
The HubSpot CMS allows you to build an optimized and personalized website for every device and visitor. It comes with unbelievable ease of use balanced with trendsetting marketing features.
The content management system you need to easily create and manage website pages personalized for different visitors - and optimized for devices and conversions. Rely on developers as much or as little as you'd like. They provide 24/7 support and unlimited users.
- Drag-and-drop editor – Update and create pages without a developer's help or custom code.
- Website themes – You'll fall in love with Hubspot's Marketplace! Build a cohesive site without worrying about mismatched designs, logos, or navigations.
- Multi-language content creation – Easily manage multiple language domains and optimize each one for SEO.
- Contact attribution reporting – Analyze the impact of your website and optimize your strategy by digging into which content types, sources, and campaigns are driving the most leads.
WordPress is the most well-known of the group – powering around 35% of the internet.
Available in 68 languages, WordPress is entirely free to download and install. Additionally, it boasts more than 55,000 free plugins giving its users access to an affordable, high-quality experience.
- Simplicity – WordPress allows its users to create complex websites – which would otherwise require technical expertise.
- SEO Friendly – Sites built on WordPress generate traffic because they can be optimized for search engines.
- Custom Content – It lets its users add code so they can make their websites exactly how they want.
- Theme System – WordPress gives users the freedom to choose from an extensive library of free and paid themes.
Not far behind WordPress is Joomla! With nearly 2 million active websites, it powers 3% of all live websites.
Key reasons for its popularity include the flexibility and multilingual support it offers – earning itself a spot as the favorite CMS software for many users.
- Mobile friendly – The websites built on this platform are mobile-friendly and can be viewed on all kinds of devices and screen sizes.
- Multilingual support – You won't need additional extensions or plugins to build a site in another language, which adds to the simplicity of the CMS.
- Individual templates – It allows users to have templates specific for different pages, allowing them to get as creative as they want.
Another prominent contender in CMS software is Drupal. Known for its powerful taxonomy system and completely customizable content management system, this CMS outshines its competitors.
However, using it can be somewhat complicated, so usually trained professionals are hired to build sites on Drupal.
- Custom Controls. Drupal allows you access to permissions, giving custom controls to your website.
- Advanced Taxonomy System. The comprehensive system facilitates search and discovery for an improved content strategy.
- Extensions. With over 36000 extensions, Drupal lets you tailor your website to your exact preferences.
This is a popular option for e-commerce websites as it also offers cloud-based hosting. It helps individuals build, design, and create their stores with tons of built-in features and applications.
- Integrated payment system. It supports all popular payment gateways allowing your website to accept credit and debit card payments.
- Access to third party apps. This allows for better user experience and enables you to automate fulfillment processes through shipping apps.
- Variety of templates. Many themes and templates are available to meet your preferences, saving time and money.
- Access to third party channels. Users can sell their products through Amazon or Pinterest, making this the perfect e-commerce website.
CMS Platforms ready for you!
Picking the right CMS is crucial since it's the pillar of your web development and content strategy. All CMS platforms have their strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately your choice depends on what you're looking for, the nature of your business, and your preferences.
Related article: Microsoft Teams: Business Benefits to Boost Productivity