As developers we spend most of our day sitting in front of the computer because that is what our jobs require.
Take a break, stretch and move
Even if you are still a student you often remain seated in all your classes. And, what do we do after finishing work or school? We sit in our cars and drive all the way home. Then, we get home and sit again on the couch to watch Netflix or TV. This is the problem. Without realizing it we are turning our lifestyle into sedentary lifestyles.
Our body as a living organism is not structured to sit at a desk all day. It may seem hard to believe, but this can cause you long term harm. Be careful because the consequences of sitting in the same location and doing the same operations repeatedly cannot be felt until it is too late. At Definity First we are creating an internal campaign to promote healthy habits. I gave my coworkers a talk about the harms of sitting all day, and I want to share that information with you.
Sitting so many hours a day increases the risks or events associated with cardiovascular disease, such as chest pain or heart attack, by as much as 125%. Your pancreas could also be affected by a boost of insulin production. This is a delicate situation as it can cause diabetes.
Pay attention to your posture. It is really important. Don’t bend your back or neck; in the long run it can affect your bones, the cervical and spinal discs. Damage in these areas require painful treatments, and sometimes it is very difficult to recover from. Your body muscles and bones can become really weak from seating for long periods of time, getting the risk to have osteoporosis or a severe injury.
Now let’s talk about the developers’ nightmare: the carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a caused by compression of a key nerve in the wrist. Some signs are tingling sensation or numbness in hands and wrists. This could develop into piercing pains that shoot through the wrist and up your arm.
Hey, but everything has a solution! Here are some tips you can apply:
- If you are on a telephone call, move around. Using a headset is ideal for you to move while attending a call.
- Please, use the stairs!! Avoid the elevator at all costs, this will contribute to your blood circulation and insulin balance.
- Take a little walk every hour. It will be really helpful if you schedule an alarm in your phone.
- Set a goal of taking 7000 to 10000 steps a day. Believe me, it is not that much. This is what we are supposed to walk everyday anyway.
- Do stretch exercises every once in a while.
- Exercise or play sports instead of getting home to sit again on the couch. Keep moving and add some exercise to your daily routine.
The human body has evolved and is designed to be mobile, not static. I’m a developer too, and I have a goal: be physically active more and more every day. Don’t go into a sedentary lifestyle, be active, be smart, be strong and love exercise.